Amazing tasting flourless chocolate chip cookies that are gluten free, dairy free and vegan? Yes, such a thing does exist! What makes this healthier chocolate chip cookie recipe even better is that it’s easy and only calls for a handful of ingredients.
Instead of using white refined flour, I’m using ground almonds. I use ground almonds in a lot of my recipes and always get asked if it’s the same as almond flour. It’s quite difficult to find almond flour in the UK. As a result I don’t have much experience using it. I did some digging and I believe that in most cases, almond flour is ground almonds minus some of the fat/oil content making it lower in fat. Ground almonds are whole almonds that have been blanched and ground. This means they do behave differently in baking and one can’t always simply be substituted with the other to achieve the same results.
I usually use ground oats/oat flour in my recipes like in these oat chocolate chip cookies or these chocolate covered tahini cookies. When I do use oats, I always get asked for oat substitutes. I thought it was time to make a recipe that has no oats in sight for those who can’t eat or tolerate them.
It would be impossible to make cookies without some sort of sweetener. I’ve chosen to use maple syrup – its thin texture helps add a lot of moisture and works really well as a binder. I’m only using 4 tbsp for the whole recipe – you can use other liquid sweeteners like agave or honey instead.
You can mix anything in these cookies to make them your own. I kept it simple and used 70% dark chocolate chunks, but chopped up dark chocolate will also work or you can even use raw cacao nibs for an even healthier option.
Here’s why you need to try the flourless chocolate chip cookies:
- They’re vegan
- Oat-free – I get asked a lot for oat substitutes in my recipes. Here’s a recipe with no oats in sight!
- Really easy to make – you only need a bowl and a spoon.
- And taste delicious!
These flourless chocolate chips cookies are the perfect mid-afternoon treat to enjoy with your cups of tea or coffee. They’re also great to make for relatives/friends who have allergies or choose not to eat things like dairy and eggs.
Flourless Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 200g ground almonds
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 60ml coconut oil melted
- 60ml maple syrup
- 1 tbsp almond milk or milk of choice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 50g dark chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 180C/160C fan/ 350F.
- In a large bowl, mix together the ground almonds, baking soda and salt.
- Melt the coconut oil in another bowl then add in to the bowl of dry ingredients.
- Now add in the maple syrup, milk/water and vanilla paste. Mix to form a dough, then fold in the chocolate chips.
- Place a tablespoon of the dough for each cookie on a tray covered with parchment paper. I used an ice cream scoop to make sure they’re all the same size. Press down with the back of a spoon to flatten them out. These cookies don’t spread much in the oven so the shape they go in will be the shape they come out!
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until the edges of the cookies are golden brown, place them on a cooling rack and leave to cool completely.
Still hungry for cookies? Have a look at some of my other COOKIE RECIPES