A yummy pancake stack made with healthier ingredients – these vegan high protein tofu pancakes are a great way to start your day with a nutritious meal that tastes like a dessert!
Pancakes aren’t known for their health benefits, but there’s not denying they taste darn good! They’re usually high in sugar, simple carbs and low in protein and fibre.
What if I told you I created a pancake stack that tastes delicious, but is also good for you? A stack that’s high in protein and also a great source of fibre. A much more well-rounded, balanced and nutritious meal that won’t spike your blood sugar levels.
Each serving offers 26g of protein and 7g of fibre. Not bad for a healthy meal that tastes like a decadent dessert! A great way to start a busy day that will keep you going until lunch time.
I added chocolate chips to the mix to make them taste more decadent, but you can add anything you like or omit completely. They’ll still taste amazing without.
What you need to make these vegan high protein tofu pancakes:
Tofu – as the name of the recipe suggests – tofu is the star of the show. It works great as an egg substitute. It’s also a great way to add extra protein to pancakes, making them a much more balanced meal.
Oats – like many of my recipes, I opt for oats instead of plain flour because they’re more nutritious, higher in fibre and work just as well as flour.
Protein powder – an easy way to bump up the protein content even more. I like using flavoured vegan protein powders. My go-to is Bulk’s gourmet vegan protein powder. You can use unflavoured protein powder, but the pancakes won’t be sweet. Or you can substitute with more oats, but of course the pancakes won’t be as high in protein.
Water or milk – you can use any milk you prefer or keep it simple and use plain tap water.
Baking powder – to help the pancakes rise a little whilst they cook.
Chocolate chips – these are completely optional. You can also substitute with other ingredients like berries, nuts, seeds or dried fruit. You can omit completely and leave them plain if you prefer.
Why you should try these vegan high protein tofu pancakes:
- They’re healthy
- Easy to make
- High in protein
- A great source of fibre
- And super delicious!
Vegan High Protein Tofu Pancakes
- 200g silken tofu
- 100g oats
- 4 tbsp protein powder I used Bulk caramel gourmet vegan protein
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 175ml water or milk
- 40g dark chocolate chips optional
- Add all the ingredients (apart from the chocolate chips) to a blender/food processor and blend until you have a smooth batter.
- Add more water/milk if the batter is too thick - 1 tbsp at a time. The consistency should be thick, but still pourable. Fold in the chocolate chips if using any.
- Heat a little bit of oil in a frying pan over a low/medium heat. Once the pan is hot, pour 1-2 tbsp of the batter and allow to cook for a couple of minutes. Flip and continue cooking for another 1 minute until golden brown.
- Sprinkle your favourite toppings and enjoy!
I have pancakes at home sometimes.
So glad you enjoyed them Desma 😀