These crunchy nut & seed rounds are my new favourite way to get some heart healthy nuts and seeds into my diet.
We should all be increasing our nut/seed intake. They’re associated with so many health benefits, mainly because they’re packed with fibre, antioxidants and healthy fats. They’re also satiating and satisfying because of their fat content. Plus they contain some plant-based protein, which helps make them even more satisfying and filling.
Many of us crave things like crisps/biscuits because we find that crunch when we bite into them so satisfying. Nuts & seeds make such a great snack alternative because they also offer that satisfying crunch. They’re even tastier when roasted!
These crunchy rounds are so handy to have on the kitchen counter when I’m feeling peckish, but want to eat something healthy. Since they’re only made up of nuts, seeds and maple syrup, they keep really well. You can double the recipe to make a big batch to snack on for the next couple of weeks.
These crunchy nut & seed rounds remind me a little of KIND bars, which I love. I only use 2.5 tbsp of maple syrup in the whole recipe – so they’re sweet, but not overly so. The maple syrup is needed to help hold the nuts and seeds together more than anything. It also caramelises in the heat, adding to that gorgeous crunch we all crave!
What you need to make these crunchy nut & seed rounds:
Nuts – I like using flaked almonds as they’re light and brown nicely in the oven. You can use any nuts (whole almonds, pecans, cashews, etc.), but you’ll need to chop them before adding them to the mix.
Seeds – Again any seeds will work. I like using a combination of pumpkin, sesame and chia seeds.
Salt – You only need a pinch to help enhance the flavours of the nuts & seeds.
Maple syrup – This will help hold the nuts together as the maple syrup will caramelise in the heat. Once the cookies are cooled, the maple syrup will harden adding to the lovely crunch of these rounds.
These crunchy nut & seed rounds are:
- Easy to make
- Only call for 4 main ingredients
- Can be made nut-free by substituting the almonds for more seeds
- They’ll satisfy both your sweet and crunchy cravings
- Super easy to make
- And they keep well in an air-tight container.
Crunchy Nut & Seed Rounds
- 50g flaked almonds
- 80g pumpkin seeds
- 35g sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- Pinch of salt
- 2.5 tbsp maple syrup
- Preheat your oven to 180C/160C fan/350F.
- Mix the nuts, seeds and salt in a bowl, then mix in the maple syrup.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place some of the mixture in a round cookie cutter to shape into flat discs.
- Alternatively you can spoon some of the mixture straight onto the lined baking sheet to make clusters instead.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Allow to cool completely to firm up (they may break apart if you attempt to move them whilst still warm).