If you’re a crunchy cookie person, you need to give these crunchy chocolate tahini cookies a try! They’re easy to make & so tasty. They also happen to be vegan, gluten-free + egg-free!
These crunchy chocolate tahini cookies were inspired by these tahini cookies that I created a few years ago. They’re so crunchy, easy and yummy that I HAD to make a chocolate version.
I do believe chocolate + tahini work so well together. If you haven’t tried this combination before, you need to asap! Similar to the way peanut butter (and nut butters in general) work really well with chocolate, tahini is no exception to the rule. The richness of the chocolate and the nuttiness of the tahini create the perfect flavour contrast.
I’ve always been a crunchy cookie/biscuit kinda gal. I would pick a crunchy cookie over one of the soft, gooey variety any day! I know I’m not alone in my crunchy biscuit addiction. There’s just something so satisfying when you bite into a hard cookie and hear that crunch. Soft cookies just don’t cut it for me.
I’m also not into sickly sweet cookies, or desserts in general. I love my sweet treats, but I want to be able to taste other flavours apart from a sweet overload. I used just enough maple syrup here to make the cookies sweet, but not completely overpower the flavour of the cocoa, tahini and spices.
What you’ll need to make these crunchy chocolate tahini cookies:
Flour – I’m using gluten-free plain flour to make the recipe gluten-free, but you can use regular plain flour.
Ground almonds – this adds more moisture to the cookies. It’s a great option to use in gluten-free recipes.
Cocoa powder – to add a rich chocolatey taste.
Spices – these are optional, but recommended. I love cinnamon and cardamom in sweet tahini recipes. The flavours just work really well together.
Tahini – runny tahini works best as it’s easier to mix the batter. You can use nut butters instead, but again make sure they’re the runny kind otherwise you may need to use more.
Maple syrup – to sweeten, but any liquid sweetener will work like honey, rice syrup, agave, etc.
These crunchy chocolate tahini cookies are:
- Healthier than most shop bought cookies
- Lovely & crunchy
- Easy to make
- And super yummy!
Crunchy Chocolate Tahini Cookies
- 60g gluten-free plain flour I used FREEE plain flour
- 50g ground almonds
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp tahini or a runny nut butter
- 4 tbsp maple syrup or honey, rice syrup, etc.
- Sesame seeds for decoration
- Preheat your oven to 180C/160C fan assisted/350F.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, ground almonds, cocoa, spices, baking powder and salt.
- Pour in the tahini and maple syrup. Mix to combine. Shape the mixture into even sized balls and place onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Press into flat discs using your fingers or a flat glass. The thinner they are the crisper they will become.
- Sprinkle some sesame seeds on top. Bake for 12-15 minutes. Leave to cool completely and enjoy!