These 2-ingredient chocolate macaroons are so easy, I can barley call it a recipe. As the title suggests, you’ll only need two ingredients that you’ve probably already guessed…yep, just dark chocolate and desiccated coconut!
I’ve always been a fan of super simple and speedy recipes, especially when it comes to desserts. I think most of us struggle to find time to put a meal together, let alone a sweet treat, especially considering how easy it is to pick them up ready made from the supermarket. I don’t know about you, but the last thing I want to do most days is spend an hour in the kitchen whipping up a dessert after spending so much time cooking and cleaning up after my main meal.
Desserts like this 2-ingredient chocolate macaroons are perfect when I don’t have time/energy, but still want to satisfy my sweet cravings with a healthier homemade treat.
Macaroons are usually made by whipping up egg whites, adding a load of sugar or sweetened condensed milk and then baking them. My version has less sugar, no eggs and no dairy, so it’s perfect for those with allergies (the recipe also gluten-free and nut-free!). It’s also packed with polyphenols from the dark chocolate as well as fibre and nutrients. Obviously they’re not as healthy as eating a kale salad, but they’re better for you than your average dessert or shop bought macaroons. Not saying you shouldn’t eat whatever it is you want/fancy, but if you are looking for a healthier treat, then you’re at the right place!
What you need to make these 2-ingredient chocolate macaroons:
Dark chocolate – Aside from being good for the soul, dark chocolate has many health benefits. Good quality high percentage dark chocolate (70% and above) is packed with antioxidants as well as some minerals (like iron, magnesium, manganese, and copper). It’s also a source of fibre, which is essential for a healthy gut. The higher the percentage of dark chocolate you choose the better. I usually use 75% or 85% dark chocolate.
Desiccated coconut – unsweetened desiccated coconut is shredded or grated dried coconut meat. It adds a rich coconut flavour making it resemble a macaroon. It also reminds me of bounty bars, which I LOVE!
These 2-ingredient chocolate macaroons are:
- Super easy to make
- Made with only 2 ingredients
- A great healthier dessert option
- So tasty!
- A great way to satisfy your sweet/chocolate cravings
2-Ingredient Chocolate Macaroons
- 100g desiccated coconut
- 100g dark chocolate 70% or above
- An optional pinch of salt
- Break up the dark chocolate into a heat-proof bowl.
- Melt in the microwave, making sure you check on it every few seconds so it doesn't burn. Or you can use the double boiler/bain-marie method.
- Fold in the desiccated coconut until everything is combined.
- Use a small ice cream scoop to scoop out even sized macaroons and place them on a board/sheet lined with baking paper.
- Refrigerate until set. Or you can place them in the freezer if you can't wait to try them!