Who could say no to a lush slice of vegan chocolate banana bread? Not me! Banana bread is delicious as is, but add chocolate into the mix and you’ll end up with something truly irresistible 😍
Banana bread is probably one of my favourite types of cake. I’ve made a few of banana bread recipes in the past, like my walnut banana bread, banana blueberry bread and this banana avocado bread. I can see myself making many more variations in the future too 😀 I just love how dense and moist they are. You really can’t go wrong with a good banana bread. It’s such a crowd-pleaser!
Treat yourself or make it the next time you want to impress someone with your baking skills. It’s super easy to make, you just need one bowl and a wooden spoon! It looks so stunning topped with a sliced banana, but if you only have 3 ripe bananas on hand, don’t panic, it will still taste delicious without. I must admit I added it more for decoration and for that ‘wow effect’. It does add some extra sweetness and banana flavour, but leaving it out won’t be the end of the world.
What you need to make this vegan chocolate banana bread:
Ripe bananas – the riper the better. Ripe bananas add more natural sweetness and make the loaf more moist and rich.
Oats – I use ground oats (aka oat flour) in most of my bakes and sweet treats. It’s a great alternative to white flour with more fibre and nutrients. You can also make the recipe gluten-free by using gluten-free oats. All you need to do is blend your oats (quick/porridge oats are best, but any will work) into a fine flour using a high speed blender.
Ground almonds – this adds more moisture to the cake and works really well combined with oats.
Cocoa – dark baking cocoa powder works best to make the chocolate rich and super chocolatey.
Sugar – I usually use brown or coconut sugar, but any granulated sugar will work. Originally the recipe called for 55g of sugar as that was sweet enough for me (I no longer enjoy super sweet treats), but some of my taste testers said it wasn’t sweet enough for their liking. I then changed the recipe to include 75g of sugar. You can use more of less depending on how sweet you like your treats!
Baking powder – to help the loaf rise.
Oil – I use coconut oil, but any oil will work.
Milk – I didn’t want to use too much oil, so I’m using some milk to add extra moisture to help the batter come together.
Flax/chia egg – this works as a sticky, gloopy binder. You can use 1 regular egg if you prefer.
This vegan chocolate banana bread is:
And deliciously chocolaty 😋
Chocolate Banana Bread
- 340g ripe bananas* around 3 large or 4 medium bananas
- 110g rolled oats** use gluten-free oats if necessary
- 50g ground almonds
- 55g cocoa
- 75g brown sugar*** or granulated sugar of choice
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp coconut oil or oil of choice
- 60ml almond milk or milk of choice
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed****
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 ripe banana optional
- A handful of chocolate chips optional
- Preheat your oven to 180C/160C fan assisted/350F.
- Add the ground flaxseed to a small bowl along with 3 tbsp water. Leave to set for 10 minutes.
- Add the oat flour, ground almonds, cocoa, sugar, baking powder and salt to a bowl and mix to combine.
- Mash the bananas well with a fork, then add to the bowl along with the oil, milk and flaxseed mixture. Transfer the cake batter into a loaf tin (I used a 22×12 cm loaf tin).
- Sprinkle some chocolate chips on top. Slice a banana in half and press into the batter cut-sides up
- Bake in for 60-65 minutes. Leave to cool completely before slicing.