A delicious way to enjoy broccoli. You’ll never be bored of broccoli again once you try this smashed chilli garlic broccoli. It’s so delicious and you can change it around with different flavours and toppings.
Anything smashed seems to be all the rage at the moment. It started with potatoes, then moved on to sprouts, now there seems to be a smashed version of every veggie!
The trend has spread for good reason – smashing your vegetables and roasting them just seems to make them 10x more tasty and moreish! Especially when flavoured with things like butter, garlic and in the case of this recipe chilli and crunchy seaweed.
I don’t think I’ll ever want to eat broccoli any other way ever again. I was already a massive broccoli lover, but this way of cooking has now found a place in my heart that won’t be replaced with any other form of broccoli preparation.
We all know that we should be eating our 5-a-day of fruit and vegetables, but now the research suggests we include 30 different plants in our diet per week. It seems like a lot, but it’s completely doable, especially when you consider things like herbs, spices and garlic a plant source of goodness. This simple recipe alone includes five different types of plants (broccoli, garlic, sesame, seaweed & chilli). If you make the peanut butter dipping sauce that will count towards a sixth!
Vegetables can be so delicious when prepared properly. No vegetable is exciting plain (in my eyes) and there’s no reason to eat them plain when there are SO MANY ways of preparing them with lots of amazing tastes and textures.
What you’ll need to make this smashed chilli garlic broccoli:
Broccoli – Packed with antioxidants like carotenoids, lutein and zeaxanthin as well as phytochemical like sulforaphane, which work to fight disease and oxidative stress in the body. It also contains compounds like indole-3-carbinol, which may help balance hormones by regulating oestrogen levels.
Butter – You can use dairy butter or a vegan alternative. You can even use coconut oil, although you may want to use an odourless version or the coconut taste will overpower.
Garlic – one minced garlic goes a long way to add lots of flavour to this simple dish.
Salt & pepper – Always needed to help enhance all the flavours.
Chilli – I like to use chilli flakes as I always have them in my spice cupboard.
Seaweed – I love adding seaweed to my veggies. It adds flavour as well as a lovely crunch. I like to use seaweed flakes, which I get from my local Korean shop, but any seaweed will work. Although some varieties aren’t as crispy as other.
Sesame seeds – For another little crunch addition and flavour. You can use either regular or roasted black sesame seeds.
This smashed chilli garlic broccoli recipe is:
- Nut-free (without the peanut butter dipping sauce)
- Easy to make
- A tasty way to prepare vegetables
- Super delicious
Smashed Chilli Garlic Broccoli:
- 1 medium head of broccoli cut into florets
- 1 tbsp butter/dairy-free alternative
- 1 garlic clove minced
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- A sprinkle of crispy seaweed flakes
Optional peanut butter dip
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp water
- A sprinkle eat or salt, pepper and chilli flakes
- Preheat your oven to 180C/160C fan/350F.
- Cut the broccoli into florets (you can use the stem too, chopped into cubes) and add to a pan of boiling water. Simmer for 5 minutes, then drain. You can also steam it to hold onto as many of the nutrients as possible.
- Arrange on a baking sheet lined with baking paper and smash down with a potato masher or a flat bottom mug.
- Melt the butter/dairy-free alternative in a small bowl, then mix in the minced garlic.
- Brush all over the broccoli florets, then sprinkle salt, pepper & chilli flakes on top.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and seaweed flakes. Mix the dipping sauce ingredients in a small bowl and serve.