This cauliflower & chestnut soup is delicious & warming. Perfect to enjoy during the festive season or even as a starter on Christmas day.
There’s nothing more comforting than a warming bowl of soup on a freezing cold day. The past week has been so cold that I’m finding myself craving nothing but soup, tea and hot chocolate.
I don’t know about you, but we still have another week before Christmas Day and I’ve already overindulged way too much. It’s just too tempting not to want to try all the Christmas foods and treats that pop up in supermarkets shelves around this time of year. The cold weather isn’t helping with my insatiable appetite either. I definitely notice I feel a lot hungrier in winter.
In between all the treats, it’s nice to have something lighter and healthier. I’ve been making this cauliflower & chestnut soup a lot over the last few weeks. It’s so handy to have in the fridge to enjoy for lunch of even a light snack when I’m feeling a little peckish.
It’s super easy to make and only takes 30 minutes start to finish.
What you’ll need to make this cauliflower & chestnut soup:
Cauliflower – this is such a great vegetable to have in soups since it has a very mild flavour, it goes with pretty much anything else. It also cooks fairly quickly when chopped up into florets, making the soup quite quick to make too.
Chestnuts – synonymous with Christmas, chestnuts adds a lovely nutty and sweet taste to this soup. You can find them pre-cooked in all major supermarkets.
Onion & garlic – which I use in almost all my savoury recipes. They add so much depth to the flavour.
Thyme – the perfect herb for this time of year. Fresh works best, but you can use dry thyme instead.
Vegetable stock – to add extra flavour and saltiness.
Oat milk – To add creaminess to the soup. You can use other types of milk, but the creamier the mlk the better.
If you like this cauliflower & chestnut soup and want more soup ideas, check out these recipes:
Cauliflower & Chestnut Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 1 large cauliflower cut into florets
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 350ml Oat milk
- 180g cooked whole chestnuts
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan and sautee the onions for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, thyme and cauliflower florets along with the vegetable stock and milk.
- Bring to a quick boil, then cover, lower the heat and allow to simmer until the cauliflower is soft (around 15 minutes).
- Add the chestnuts and cook for another 5 minutes, then take off the heat.
- Allow to cool slightly, then use a blender/hand blender to blend until smooth.
- Season to taste with salt & pepper.