These vegan strawberry chocolate protein cupcakes are super delicious topped with a simple 3-ingredient protein chocolate frosting. They’re easy, made with healthier ingredients and packed with 15g protein per cupcake!
Why I love making these vegan strawberry chocolate protein cupcakes:
I love adding protein powder to my treats. It’s such an easy way to add extra goodness without compromising on taste or texture. The great thing about using flavoured protein powders is that they also add some sweetness, meaning you don’t need to use as much sugar as you would in a regular recipe. Not only are these cupcakes high in protein, they’re also lower in added sugar!
I also love using finely ground oats instead of plain flour in my bakes. I find it works amazingly well in so many recipes.
These cupcakes are topped with a simple 3-ingredient frosting make up of yoghurt, protein powder and melted chocolate. I was so impressed with the way it turned out. It’s not easy making a healthier frosting that holds its shape and that also tastes good. It’s silky smooth and better for you compared to most other frosting recipes.
What you’ll need to make these vegan strawberry chocolate protein cupcakes:
Protein powder: I’m always asked what protein powder I use and recommend. My go-to are Bulk gourmet vegan protein powders. They currently only come in 3 flavours (chocolate, caramel and strawberry). I used their chocolate flavour, but the caramel one will also work. It adds extra protein, sweetness and chocolatey flavour. I also used it in the frosting for an extra protein boost!
Ground oats/oat flour: I make my own by blending rolled oats into a fine flour in a high-speed blender. Make sure you blend them enough so they resemble a fine flour. Oats are an amazing substitute to plain flour. They’re higher in fibre, protein and have a lower GI number.
Cocoa powder: I use baking cocoa powder to add that chocolatey goodness.
Greek yoghurt: both dairy and dairy-free Greek style yoghurt will work. It helps make the cupcakes moist and reduces the need to add too much oil.
Coconut oil: I tried making these cupcakes without oil, but the oil adds so much moistness making them so much more enjoyable and satisfying. I only used 2 tbsp for the whole recipe.
Sugar: to add some much needed sweetness to balance out the bitter taste of the chocolate. Any kind of granulated sugar or sweetener will work here. I’ve tested the recipe with white, brown and coconut sugar. They taste sweeter when using white or brown sugar, but coconut sugar also works. You can use a sugar-free sweetener instead. You may have to reduce the quantity as they tend to be sweeter than white sugar. I would recommend starting with 2 tbsp, then taste the batter and add a little more if needed.
What you need to make the protein frosting on these vegan strawberry chocolate protein cupcakes:
The frosting is a simple mixture of Greek yoghurt, protein powder and melted dark chocolate. The result of mixing those 3 ingredients is a beautifully smooth and pipeable frosting. It’s so much healthier than your regular frosting with less sugar and more protein!
These vegan strawberry chocolate protein cupcakes are:
- High in protein (with 15g per serving!)
- Made using healthier ingredients
- Topped with a simple healthier protein chocolate frosting
- Super easy to make.
- Absolutely delicious!
Vegan Strawberry Chocolate Protein Cupcakes
- 240ml unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 60g fat-free Greek yoghurt dairy or vegan
- 2 tbsp oil
- 120g oat flour
- 60g protein powder I used Bulk strawberry gourmet vegan protein
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- 4 tbsp caster sugar or sugar-free sweetener alternative
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
For the frosting
- 200g fat-free Greek style yoghurt dairy or vegan
- 50g protein powder I used Bulk strawberry gourmet vegan protein
- 80g dark chocolate melted
- Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan.
- Mix together the milk, vinegar, yoghurt and oil in a large bowl.
- Add the oat flour, protein powder, cocoa, sugar, baking powder and baking soda. Mix to form a dough.
- Scoop into a 6 hole cupcake tin lined with paper cupcake cases. Bake for 20-25 minutes, then leave to cool completely.
- To make the frosting, mix the yoghurt, protein powder and melted chocolate in a bowl.
- Transfer into a piping bag and pipe over the cooled cupcakes.
- Decorate and enjoy!
If you like these vegan strawberry chocolate protein cupcakes, you may also like:
- Vegan Protein Ferrero Rocher
- Protein Fruit & Seed Bars
- Chocolate Salted Caramel Protein Bars
- Hazelnut Chocolate Protein Bars