Vegan Burger Recipe
I’m not vegan, or even vegetarian, but I’m also not a big eater either. I only cook meat at home on occasion and my husband and I usually only eat meat when we visit family or eat out. I think as a society we eat way too much meat. It’s not good for the environment and I don’t think it’s doing our health any favours either! We could all do with eating a little less of it. Just my humble opinion 😛
I love vegetable and bean burgers. They may not taste like meat but they can be just as satisfying without leaving you feeling heavy and sluggish from the high fat and oil content. To me, normal meat burgers are a treat – one that I would only probably have once or twice a year if even that. These vegan burgers however, I would happily eat everyday! This simple recipe consists of 2 types of beans (chickpeas & red kidney beans) some herbs (coriander & parsley) garlic, a little bit of flour, an egg and lots and lots of spices!
Since I wanted this vegan burger recipe to be vegan I used a chia egg (1 tbsp chia seeds mixed with 3 tbsp water) instead of a regular egg but if you’re not vegan, feel free to use an egg!
These vegan burgers are quick and easy to make. You just need to bung everything in s food processor/blender, shape into patties then shallow fry in a little bit of oil. We like having them with some baby Hassleback potatoes and steamed broccoli.
- First prepare your chia egg - mix 1 tbsp chia seeds with 3 tbsp water in a small bowl and leave to the side while you prepare the rest of your ingredients.
- Add the chickpeas, kidney beans, garlic, mustard, herbs, spices, salt and flour to a food processor or a blender. Blend until you have a smooth mixture. I used my Froothie Optimum 9400 high powered blender.
- Transfer into a large bowl then mix in the chia egg and lemon zest.
- Shape into 6 patties then place in the freezer for around 10 minutes to set.
- Heat some oil in a frying pan then start frying your vegan burgers for a few minutes on each side or until fully cooked.