These healthier vegan heart sandwich cookies would make a great treat for Valentine’s Day. Whether you’re celebrating with your significant other, friends or family – these cookies are a cute way to say ‘I care’. You can also make them as a treat for yourself!
Nut butter sandwiched between two crunchy oat cookies. This recipe is easily adaptable to your likes and dietary needs. You can use any filling you like. I’ve made them before with jam and chocolate hazelnut spread, but this time I opted for a chocolate peanut butter. Basically anything you can spread will work.
I wanted to make a healthier treat for Valentine’s Day that can also be enjoyed any time of the year. You can leave out the heart top if you don’t want them looking too cutesy or you don’t want them looking too romantic.
What you need to make these healthier vegan heart sandwich cookies:
Oat flour – I love using oats as a replacement for plain flour. So much better for you and higher in fibre. All you need to do to make oat flour is blend oats in a high-speed blender. Use gluten-free oats for a gluten-free recipe.
Salt – to enhance the flavours.
Baking powder – to give these cookies a little bit of rise in the oven.
Sweetener – cookies always need a little bit of sweetener, even when making healthier versions. I only use 3 tbsp of sugar + 1 tbsp of maple in the whole recipe, so they have less sugar than your average cookie. You can use other granulated sweeteners like white sugar or coconut sugar if you prefer. You can also use other liquid sweeteners like honey or agave in the place of maple syrup.
Coconut oil – to help hold the cookies together and give them a lovely crunch!
Nut or seed butter – You have many options to use as the filling. I usually go for homemade chia jam or shop bought jam. I also love using nut butters. This time I went for a chocolate peanut butter that I got from Bulk.
Why you need to try these healthier vegan heart sandwich cookies:
- They’re easy to make
- Can be made nut-free
- Deliciously crunchy
- Easily adaptable to preferences/dietary needs
- Super cute
- Prefect for Valentine’s Day (but also any other day!)
Healthier Vegan Heart Sandwich Cookies
- 110g oat flour*
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp brown sugar**
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp coconut oil melted
- 1-2 tbsp milk of choice
- 7 tsp nut butter or seed butter I used Bulk chocolate brownie peanut butter
- Preheat your oven to 180C/160C fan/350F.
- Mix the oats, sugar, baking powder and salt in a bowl, then pour in the oil, milk and maple syrup. Mix to create a dough (if the dough is too soft, place in the fridge for 15-20 minutes).
- Roll out between 2 sheets of baking paper, then use a round cookie cutter to cut out the biscuits (I used a 5cm round cutter). Use a smaller heart cutter to cut out hearts in half of the cookies.
- Arrange on a baking sheet lined with baking paper and bake for 10-15 minutes or until lightly golden. Allow to cool completely before filling.
- To assemble - spread about a tsp of your chosen filling over the bottom cookie, and top with a heart cut out cookie.
Wow 🤩 looks delicious
Let me knw the replacement for coconut oil
Can we replace with butter ? Or anyother oil ?
Hi Sravya 🙂 butter will also work instead of coconut oil x
Hi! I made these cookies together with my kid for Valentine’s Day and they were super delicious! Thanks for the lovely recipe👌☺️
So glad you all enjoyed them Lauren 😀 Thank you for your feedback xx