These chocolate peanut butter cornflake bites are super easy to put together, require no baking and only call for 5 ingredients!
They also combine some of my food loves – chocolate, peanut butter and something crunchy. Literally the best combo ever!
Simple, few ingredient treats have always been, and will always be, my favourite type of recipes to make, but also to share because they seem to be the kind of recipes you all love too! I can understand why they would be popular. In a world that’s becoming increasingly busy and an ever growing to-do-list, the last thing most of us want is to spend hours in the kitchen whipping up a treat.
If you’re anything like me, instead what you actually want is to be able to throw together a quick treat that’s healthier than your average shop bought dessert. One that doesn’t take half a day to prepare and leave you with a ton of washing up to do.
You only need about 20 minutes to put these delicious bites together. They’re also freezer friendly, meaning you don’t have to worry about eating them all within a tight window. Eat what your hearts desires, then simply freeze the rest for later. Great for when you’re craving something chocolatey, but not necessarily in the mood to make anything.
What you need to make these chocolate peanut butter cornflake bites:
Peanut butter – any type of nut butter will work like almond, cashew, etc. You can also use a seed butter like sunflower seed butter or tahini to make it nut-free.
Coconut oil – I only use this if my peanut butter isn’t runny or is on the thicker side. Different brands of peanut butter have different consistencies. If you’re using a runnier peanut butter, you can omit the coconut oil.
Maple syrup – to add sweetness, but also to help everything stick together and give these treats a caramel-like taste and texture. You can use a zero-calorie maple syrup alternative like this one from Bulk to make it lower in sugar and calories.
Cornflakes – any crunchy cornflake will work here. You can even use something like leftover granola if you prefer or even toasted oats, although the end result won’t be crunchy.
Dark chocolate – again any type of chocolate will work. I prefer to use 70% cocoa dark chocolate, but you can use whatever you have available.
Reasons why you need to try these chocolate peanut butter cornflake bites:
- They’re easy to make
- Only call for 5 ingredients!
- Easily adjustable to likes and dietary requirements
- Need no baking
- You can shape them however you like
- Freezable so you can eat what you fancy and save the rest for later.
- They’re super tasty!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cornflake Bites
- 170g smooth peanut butter
- 2 tbsp coconut oil* Omit if using runny peanut butter
- 60ml maple syrup**
- 80g cornflakes*** or crunchy cereal of choice
- Pinch of salt
For the coating
- 150g dark chocolate
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- Add the peanut butter, coconut oil (if using any), maple syrup and a pinch of salt to a saucepan. Heat on a gentle flame until everything has softened and combined together.
- Take off the heat and fold in the cornflakes. Mix until coated.
- Divide between moulds of choice (I used small round moulds) or press into a loaf tin lined with baking paper.
- Freeze for 2 hours or until set, then carefully remove from the moulds/tin. Slice into bars if you set the mixture in a loaf tin.
- Break up the chocolate in a heat-proof dish and add the coconut oil. Melt in the microwave (checking on it every 10 seconds to make sure if doesn't burn!) or using a double boiler method.
- Dip the set cornflake bites/bars into the chocolate, then arrange on a chopping board/sheet lined with baking paper.
- Transfer to the fridge until the chocolate has set.
- Store in an air-tight container in the freezer and remove 20 minutes before serving.
Leave A Comment