Chocolate Covered Cornflake Squares (Vegan & Gluten-free)
Sometimes, all I want is something crunchy to munch on, and a soft baked treat doesn’t always cut it. I’ve been meaning to create a crunchy cereal/cornflake bar recipe for absolutely ages and finally got around to putting this recipe together.
This was my second trial as the first time I didn’t use enough liquid ingredients and the bars didn’t hold together too well. I do have the tendency to try and use as little sweetener and oil as possible to make it healthier, but at the end of the day I want to create something that is healthier but still tastes delicious. And since it’s a treat, I have to remind myself that it’s ok to use a little bit more maple syrup or coconut oil if that means a better tasting treat.
To make these chocolate covered cornflake squares I used gluten-free cornflakes, you can use any kind you like or can get your hands on. I have seen buckwheat flakes being sold which would be perfect for this recipe. I’m using flakes made from 100% corn.
- 2 cups (120g) gluten-free cornflakes
- 1/3 cup (5 tbsp) natural almond butter
- 1/4 cup (4 tbsp) maple syrup or any liquid sweetener
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- pinch salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla paste or extract
- 100g dark chocolate or chocolate of choice
- WATCH THE VIDEO ABOVE FOR INSTRUCTIONS
- In a heatproof bowl, add the almond butter, maple syrup, coconut oil, salt and vanilla. Place over a small pan of gently simmering water. Stir until melted.
- Pour the mixture over the cornflakes and mix until well coated.
- Transfer into an 8" cake tin lined with parchment paper.
- Place in the freezer for 30 minutes to set.
- Break up the bar of chocolate into a heatproof bowl and place over a pan of simmering water. Stir until completely melted.
- Pour the melted chocolate over the cornflake mixture and return to the freezer for an hour.
- Slice and enjoy!