Vegan & Gluten-free Dessert Pizza
This is a fun, alternative dessert recipe that incorporate plenty of healthy plant-based ingredients without any refined flour, refined sugar or dairy products. Topped with fresh fruit, nuts and Snact fruit jerky.
Snact create their fruit jerky using surplus produce that would otherwise be thrown away for being too big, too small or too ugly. Thousands of tons of perfectly edible fruit is thrown away every year because supermarkets don’t want to buy imperfect produce. This is the fruit that doesn’t even reach the shops, not the produce that is left unbought or the fruit and veg that we as a nation buy but then leave to go bad. I really find it mind boggling and it hurts my heart to think of all the food that we waste while millions go to sleep hungry every single night.
A lot of people take food for granted. I grew up in a war torn country and even though we never went without, we had to eat what we had. We didn’t get the luxury of turning our noses up on wonky fruit and veg. They were misshapen, they were bruised, they had all kinds of marks on them, but they all tasted the same! And if anything started going off or mouldy, my mum would chop off the bad part and we would eat the rest. There was no food wasting in our household and we learned that from a very young age.
Until this day, I find it strange when someone looks at a slightly bruised apple as if it was contaminated with the worst possible disease one could imagine. It’s a bruise! I think we all need to educate ourselves on food waste and read more into the shocking facts and statistics. We won’t be able to carry on like this for much longer.
Rant over. Moving on now 😛
Snact’s fruit jerky is made of dried fruit with each pack contributing towards your five a day. It’s vegan, gluten-free and only contains 65 calories per bag!
This vegan & gluten-free dessert pizza is super easy to make. With the base consisting of dates, tahini, oat flour, cocoa and some rice protein powder to bump up the overall protein content.
The ‘sauce’ is simply made up of coconut yogurt (you can also use soya), maple syrup and vanilla. All topped off with fresh fruit, chopped nuts and fruit jerky pieces…or fruit pepperoni in this case 😉
- 155g dates
- 6 tbsp tahini
- 40g oat flour (make your own by blending plain oats into a flour in the food processor) - use gluten-free if you're allergic/intolerant
- 2 tbsp cocoa/cacao powder
- 1 scoop (21g) vanilla rice protein powder
- Optional pinch of salt
- 125g coconut/soya yoghurt
- 1-2 tbsp maple syrup depending on how sweet you like it
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract/paste
- Fresh fruit and nuts
- 1 (20g) bag of Snact apple & raspberry jerky
- 1 (20g) bag of Snact apple & mango jerky
- Blend together the dates and tahini, then add in the oat flour, cocoa and protein powder. Blend again until you have a smooth dough like mixture.
- Press into a round 8" cake tin and freeze for 30 minutes.
- To make the sauce, mix together the yoghurt, maple syrup and vanilla.
- Take the base out and spread the yoghurt mixture on top.
- Chop the fruit jerky into small triangles to decorate.
- Calories: 200 kcal
- Protein: 5.5g
- Fat: 6.8g
- Carbs: 26.3g
- Fibre: 4.3g
*This post was commissioned by Snact; however, all thoughts are my own.